3.17.2006

Sleep Eating

From CBS:
Some people don't just walk in their sleep, they eat as well.

As sleep disorders go, it's one of the more bizarre, observes CBS News Correspondent John Blackstone.

He says Dr. Mark Mahowald and other sleep researchers have discovered that nocturnal eating may be a side effect of the popular sleep medication, Ambien.

That comes on the heels of reports that some Ambien users may drive while sleeping.

Mahowald, who's medical director of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center in Minneapolis, tells Blackstone, "We've had people eat very inappropriate things that they would never eat while awake. Some example would be buttered cigarettes, salt sandwiches, raw bacon."

And sleep-binging could leave its mark – on waistlines.

"I put on over 100 pounds since I've been on Ambien," says Brenda Pobre, who couldn't figure out why she was gaining so much weight.

"I would wake up in the morning and there would be candy wrappers all around the bed," she says. "There would be crumbs in the bed. There would be all kinds of evidence that someone had been eating in the bed. But I had absolutely no recollection of it."



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been taking Ambien due to some sleeping trouble since the middle of last year... But I think this history is unbearable! I really do not agree with CBS! One of my sisters is suffering for anorexia, and has sometimes bulimia crisis... and she's able to take several pound in 3 or 4 days, but it's because she's ill... I never heard some extraordinary and strange changes! I'm afraid that if more than 20 millions people in our country are touched by this epidemic, we are going to evolve in big zombies all around us....
Seriously, I do think all people in the study showed have others problems in their live and they don't assume their responsibilities... This is too easy to find a scapegoat, sure.