6.29.2006

Breaking News...Not!

Fateh Mohammad, a prison inmate in Pakistan, says he woke up last weekend with a glass lightbulb in his anus.

Wednesday night, doctors brought Mohammad's misery to an end after a one-and-a-half hour operation to remove the object.

"Thanks Allah, now I feel comfort. Today, I had my breakfast. I was just drinking water, nothing else," Mohammad, a grey-beared man in his mid-40s, told Reuters from a hospital bed in the southern central city of Multan.

"We had to take it out intact," said Dr. Farrukh Aftab at Nishtar Hospital. "Had it been broken inside, it would be a very very complicated situation."


I hate to have to tell ABC News this, but this is really not that rare of an event, and certainly not worthy of being on their home page. The patient probably said "I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time." I've heard that story many times.


2 comments:

Sid Schwab said...

I recall a journal article about a rectal foreign body, a maraschino cherry jar, to be exact. Complete with xray, as in the present case. The article stated the man had been camping, was sitting on a branch while defecating, and the branch broke, causing him to fall directly on the jar. Never mind why one might be crapping directly over a cherry jar: I assumed -- but couldn't tell for sure from the text -- that the writers were not so credulous as to have believed the explanation. But they did find it worthy of an article, for whatever reason.

digitaldoc said...

Thanks for the comment. The stories around this disorder could fill a book. Nice blog BTW!