11.18.2005

Printing Skin


I wonder if they will charge more for the cartridges than the printer? HP would love to sell this to my hospital.

You have a printer. What would you normally do with it? Print documents, probably forms and even a few photographs? Did you ever think you could print skin for yourself? How about organs, or even notebook screens?


If you think I’ve lost all of my senses, you are more wrong than Bill Gates was about future memory requirements.


So what exactly am I talking about? Researchers at the University of Manchester have developed an exciting technology where you take cells from the patient’s body and feed them into the computer. The system then analyses and multiplies them to the required level, which then fills up as "ink" in the first cartridge while the second cartridge contains the necessary gel. Once the process has started, multiple print layers ensure that a complex 3D skin is created and the dimensions are exactly as required

No comments: